Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fabric Weaving

I have some new things I've been working on but haven't had a chance to take any pictures. This picture I took a while ago but haven't had a chance to post it. In the current issue of  Art Quilting Studio, by Stampington, there was an article on woven pieces. I thought it would be fun to try and something I could do while relaxing and trying to stay cool in the heat wave we had a couple of weeks ago. I also thought this would give me a chance to use new colors. I've been challenging myself to try lighter and softer colors than I usually use. I'm all done with the top, I just need to decide how I want to display it. 

Marilyn and I have had a couple of fun outings this summer. Most of the Fiber Divas are so busy this summer that I can't get together, so Marilyn and I decided we would just plan some things and who ever could make it was welcome to come. One of our trips was down to Lowell Mass to the New England Quilt Museum. Lynn Decker went with us. Susan was supposed to go but wasn't feeling well and stayed home. We had lunch at a Greek restaurant that is within walking distance of the museum. We also stopped at Friends Fabric Art and found a few things we just could't live without. A very inspirational day. Of course, I had planned to have some pictures, but left my camera at home.
A couple of weeks later Marilyn and I planned a trip to the Quilted Threads quilt shop. We'd heard that it was really nice so decided to check it out. Anita was able to join us. We all managed to find some solids in the sale room. We also picked up some fabric that is cotton and silk. Can't remember the name. We bought some white to try dyeing. I love their selection of Japanese fabrics. Wish I could have afforded some of those. We ate at a little cafe in Henniker called St George's Cafe. The food was really good. Big sandwiches!!

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Raised Flower Beds

Here's the quilt top I've been working on. It sort of makes me think of flowers in raised beds. I'm still trying to decide if I want to add another green border around this. It took a while to get to this point. Originally I had used different green fabrics for each block. I thought since the centers were scrappy, I'd make the green border scrappy. As I was sewing it together, I kept thinking it just wasn't right but kept plugging away. When it was all finished, I didn't like the scrappy green border, so I took it all apart and added this green hand-dyed border. Kara thought I was completely nuts. I told her I would never really like the quilt if I didn't change it. I would always feel there was something off about it. Now to decide about a second border and then get it quilted.

I think I had mentioned that I had finally put up a design board. I used a leftover piece of styrofoam insulation    
and covered it with white felt. Since it was leftover insulation, the design wall has a couple of chunks missing from it but it is much better than taping things to the back of a bookshelf at the end of my sewing area. I do need to lower it. I thought I'd make it easy on myself and get it straight by aligning the top to the top of the sheet rock. Well after I put it up there and got down to look, I realized it was too high. Since I used 3M velcro strips to hang it, it won't be difficult to move, it's just a matter of taking the time to do it when there are much more interesting things to do.