Thursday, July 04, 2013

Raised Flower Beds

Here's the quilt top I've been working on. It sort of makes me think of flowers in raised beds. I'm still trying to decide if I want to add another green border around this. It took a while to get to this point. Originally I had used different green fabrics for each block. I thought since the centers were scrappy, I'd make the green border scrappy. As I was sewing it together, I kept thinking it just wasn't right but kept plugging away. When it was all finished, I didn't like the scrappy green border, so I took it all apart and added this green hand-dyed border. Kara thought I was completely nuts. I told her I would never really like the quilt if I didn't change it. I would always feel there was something off about it. Now to decide about a second border and then get it quilted.

I think I had mentioned that I had finally put up a design board. I used a leftover piece of styrofoam insulation    
and covered it with white felt. Since it was leftover insulation, the design wall has a couple of chunks missing from it but it is much better than taping things to the back of a bookshelf at the end of my sewing area. I do need to lower it. I thought I'd make it easy on myself and get it straight by aligning the top to the top of the sheet rock. Well after I put it up there and got down to look, I realized it was too high. Since I used 3M velcro strips to hang it, it won't be difficult to move, it's just a matter of taking the time to do it when there are much more interesting things to do.

No comments: