Thursday, July 26, 2012

Unscientific Comparison

My friends Susan and Marilyn from the Fiber Divas use a 50% bamboo/50% cotton fabric for dyeing and other surface design. They get it at Joann's. I decided I wanted to try it out. Since the Joann's near (relatively near) us doesn't carry it, I ordered it online. They call it a drapery lining muslin and it is a 200 count weave. I decided to try ice dying with it and a piece of  PFD Pimatex cotton for comparison. The Pimatex is what I've been using for quite a while. 

Below on the left side is the Pimatex piece. The two longer ones in the middle and on the right ore the bamboo/cotton fabric. They dyed really well. They have a softer hand than the cotton after being rinsed. Almost a silky feel. Susan likes using this fabric for stamping and other surface design because of the tighter weave.


I bought the bamboo/cotton when it was on sale for 50% off. Regularly it is $12 something a yard. I paid $6 something. I also bought it over the 4th of July holiday when they had 4 cent shipping.

This bottom one is another piece I dyed. I think it is one of my favorites. I used a variety of reds and yellows.  Will have to think of something special to do with it. This one is Pimatex cotton.

                                     



No comments: