Thursday, October 22, 2009

Felting Experiments


I felted these 2 pieces back in May but never decided how to finish them. Here's where I posted about them. I made them after watching a couple segments on Quilting Arts TV about needle felting. On the show, they used an embellisher machine but I did these with a hand felter. I was playing with felting different fabrics and yarns to painted cotton batting.
These were really fun to make. Just playing no thinking. They've been sitting around since then because I just couldn't decide how to finish them. I finally decided to sew them onto a piece of black felt. I started out with a rectangular piece of felt but it just didn't look right. So, I cut the black felt about 1/2" beyond the felted piece. Looks much better. This gives it a much more finished look.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

They are very cool!

Quilt Rat said...

These are totally fabulous. I love painting batting, I have felting tools....just gonna have to give this a try!

Melanie said...

I went back to look at your previous blog on these pieces in May compared to now... WOW! You did a great job finishing them! They are beautiful!! :)

Karabiner said...

They look really nice. The black piece really makes a difference from the way they were before.