Saturday, February 06, 2010

Snow Dyeing

There's been a lot of talk on the Quilt Art list about snow dyeing so I decided to try my hand at it. I know there was an article in Quilting Arts about snow dyeing but I couldn't find that issue so I followed this tutorial.

Since I was only dyeing fat quarters I used little Rubbermaid disposable containers to dye in. They seemed to have worked out fine although I might try something a little deeper another time.


This fabric is my favorite one. I think this is the one that I froze the fabric in the freezer before dyeing. You freeze it after soaking it in the soda ash solution. With the other 3 pieces, I was too impatient and packed them in the snow after pulling them out of the soda ash solution. This piece was a combination of fushia and ice blue.


This one was fushia and seafoam.


This next one was a combination of fushia and citrus yellow.

My first reaction with this green piece was that it was too light and I would have to over dye it but then I remembered that I had just been going through my fabrics and realizing that I don't have many light colors, so it will stay like this. This was a combination of citrus yellow and seafoam.


I decided to throw some cheesecloth in with the fabric being dyed. Here are those results.



I love the one above the green. It was dyed with the first piece of fabric above. Here you can see a little more of the purple color.


I dyed a couple more pieces of fabric today and am impatiently waiting for the snow to melt.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your fabrics turned out great, especially that first one! I did a little bit of snow dyeing today as well - I think I could snow dye for a month with all the snow we got today!

laurel said...

How fun! They all turned out great.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Very pretty! I have some fabric snow-dying in garbage bags hanging from my deck. I wonder if they will turn out.

J said...

Hi. It was such a nice day today that I decided to try snow dyeing for the first time. I will soon go out and see what I got. I dyed muslin and canvas. In one set of stuff I placed water color paper down first, then added about 1" snow, then the muslin, then 3" snow then the dye. Can't wait to see what I got. JB