Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Displaying Fabric Postcards

On the Quilt Art list we've been talking about how to display our fabric postcards that we have accumulated.
Some display them in bowls on a coffee table, some in little photo albums, some have made wallhangings that you can attatch the postcards to.
I found this wooden insert for windows at a second hand shop. It's to make your window look like it is made of individual panes of glass. The openings are just the right size for the postcards.With this one, since I have so many landscape cards, I painted the frame green.
I cut a piece of foam core board to fit the back of the frame and then attatched the post cards to it. I started out poking holes through the foam core and tying the cards to the board with thread but lost patience and used double stick tape. The double stick tape makes it easier to change the cards to display different ones.
When I did this, I only had white foam core. I think sometime I will change it for black foam core. Last year, my small quilt group displayed fabric postcards and trading cards at our quilt show. I displayed this. We wanted to show people other things that were being done besides quilts. The postcards and trading cards drew alot of attention.
I don't remember the names of these cards but the makers are, starting top row:Beth Mastrude and Robin Morgan; middle row: Beth Mastin and Julie Wolkoff; bottom row: Jennifer Parr and Diane Becka.

There was also talk of the Art2Mail postcard exchange and I gave into the urge and joined in their next swap. Maybe this will help get the creative juices going again!!
www.art2mail.com

1 comment:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I've recently been racking my brain for some way to display my cards also. I've got the start of an idea rolling around, hopefully it will turn into something.