Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Round Robin

Last Friday was the Fiber Art Friends meeting. We exchanged our backgrounds for the round robin we are doing. This is what I came up with. I wanted to do something more than just a piece of fabric so I added a piece of cheesecloth I had sitting around. It added some texture, which is my theme, but still leaves lots of room for the others to explore, experiment and have fun! I forgot to ask if the others mind if I post theirs to my blog. Will have to remember to ask next time.
The theme for the one I have now is "Awakening". Since it is spring, I am thinking of trying a tulip or some spring flower in sheer fabrics. I've always wanted to try working with sheers.
Figuring out a theme and what I wanted to do for the background was harder than I thought it would be. While trying to decide, I pulled out my back issues of "Quilting Arts" and "Cloth, Paper, Scissors". I experimented with a couple of techniques that I decided against for the round robin but I ended up with some things that I have had fun making. The piece below is one. The center is a green piece of fabric with painted wonder under fused to it. That is sewed onto a brown paper bag that has been crumpled and colored with stamp pads and gold paint. I added two gold skeleton leaves. I still need to attach this to the fabric background and I need to figure out how to finish the edges of the green fabric. I zigzagged around the edge with gold thread but I think it need something more to finish it.
Here's a close up of the center. Wish it was clearer but you can see some of the straight stitching I did on the green. I sent an e-mail to "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" and they are sending me a new magazine to replace the one that never arrived.

No comments: