Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Flower Class and More Fabric

No, we don't have Johnny Jump Ups coming up yet here in New Hampshire!! I'm taking another class at Quilt University with Susan Brittingham. It's called Flower Power. This is a picture I took last may and am using it for the class to make into a quilt. I have done a line drawing of it and enlarged to to about 18"x16". I have always wanted to make realistic looking flower quilts but just never got around to experimenting with it. By taking the class, I'm making myself learn how and learning some new techniques. One of the reasons I got a digital camera last spring was to be able to take good pictures of flowers to use as for quilts.
I tried posting these Sunday and again yesterday and couldn't get them to load. These are the final pieces that I dyed. The colors are off.



Our quilt group, Fiber Art Friends, is meeting on Friday. I'm looking forward to it. At the last meeting we decided to do a round robin project that we can display at our quilt show in October. It is based on one of the round robin projects we saw in the new Cloth, Paper, Scissors. Since my copy seems to be lost in the mail some where, I can't tell you which project it is exactly. I think it was canvases that they passed around and each person added something to it. (painting, collage, etc.) We thought it would be fun to do something like this but with fabric. A way to stretch and try some new things.
Each of us is picking a theme and then making a background(12"x18"). Picking a theme was harder than I thought it would be since I didn't want to fall back on all the things I seem to do. I finally picked texture as my theme. Completely different from what I would usually pick. More of an abstract concept. I picked a piece of hand-dyed fabric and now am trying to figure out how I want to add some texture to it.
It will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with and how we will all add to each piece.

No comments: