Saturday, February 03, 2007

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Cretan Stitch

I finally had a chance to work on the cretan stitch. I had trouble finding inspiration like I did for the chain stitch but I'm happy with what I did. Since I hadn't used this stitch before, I had a little trouble getting things to work like I wanted them to. You can see on the botttom green row, where I had trouble getting the stitch started (on the left).
The background is another of my handpainted pieces. I used both cotton embroidery floss and perl cotton. I tried varying height and width of the stiches. I also couched down a torn strip of fabric. The purple is a yarn that I wove through the stitching.
Maybe I'll have a chance to work on the next stitch this afternoon, if I don't fall asleep. Had to get up at 4am to go to work.

2 comments:

quiltpixie said...

looks like you fell into a rythmn after a while.... :-)

:-D eirdre said...

May I ask a question - do you use a hoop or some kind of a stablizer when you do your handwork? I love your Take a Stitch Tuesday pieces!

Also, have you lived in Plymouth long? My husband and I lived in Ashland years ago (late '88 - '90), we both worked in the restaurant business, Ashland, Plymouth, Waterville Vally and Loon.
:-D eirdre